Download New SMGT 305-Sport Law
With a managerial approach to legal issues, this course will examine the influences of the current state and federal legislation, collective bargaining agreements, regulation agencies, employee-employer relations, contracts, and educational enterprises about sports management.
For information regarding the prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.
Sports Law instructs students on the legal issues involved in the supervision, management, and business operations of sports. Thus, Sports Law trains students to understand the evolving legal standards within the field, how the legal system functions, and how to analyze situations from a legal standpoint. Finally, Sports Law introduces the allocation of jurisdiction between state and federal courts and the law to be applied in state and federal courts.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles, the principle rules, and the basic vocabulary of Sports Law that will permit his/her skillful application.
- Critically evaluate these principles and rules and the underlying premises, assumptions, and policies.
- Develop the discipline and the skills of carefully reading and analyzing judicial opinions, procedural rules, and statutory materials; thoughtfully synthesizing and applying holdings, rationale, and standards; carefully communicating legal analysis; and persuasively presenting well-reasoned arguments.
- Resolve procedural and judicial contexts in which substantive legal issues are raised, be attentive to procedural issues, and understand the interface of procedural issues with substantive legal issues.
- Identify the laws and statutes which impact the sports industry and the agencies, governing bodies, and powers which govern sports.
- Utilize critical and analytical skills to solve complex problems.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations/notes
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in the Course Overview.
Discussions are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each discussion. Each thread must be 200 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be 100 words. For each thread, the student must support his/her assertions with at least 2 scholarly citations in APA format. Each reply must incorporate at least 1 scholarly citation in APA. Any sources cited must have been published within the last 5 years. Acceptable sources include the textbook, the Bible, etc.
Weekly quizzes will be utilized to measure the student’s ability to recall, analyze, and apply the concepts covered in the course content and assigned readings for the assigned Module: Week. Each quiz will be open-book/open-notes, contain 10 multiple-choice and true/false questions, and have a 1-hour time limit.
Case Brief Assignments (2)
Students will analyze and prepare case briefs based on an assigned area of law. Each brief should be 3 pages, cite 2 scholarly sources, and be double-spaced. The specific instructions should be reviewed carefully before submission. The assignments must be submitted in a Word document.
Midterm Assignment (1)
The midterm will be utilized to measure the student’s ability to recall, analyze, and apply the concepts covered in the first four Modules: Weeks of the course. The student must answer 4 essay questions. Further, short essay answers must be at least 200 words and long enough to adequately answer the question presented. Bullet point answers are not permitted. Each essay answer must cite 2 resources that have not yet been used in the course. The midterm answers must be submitted in a Word document.
Want Assistance with the Course?
- Exams are very important to a student’s education.
- Students will not be allowed to advance on the achievement ladder if they fail the exam.
However, today’s college students no longer have the financial wherewithal to devote themselves to their studies due to the tremendous pressure from the professions that pay for the necessary knowledge. Take My Class is in a great position to help you when you need it. If you are a university student and are wondering if you can pay to take the test, let’s get that out of the way right away. For more than two years, we have worked successfully with college students to help them overcome their anxieties about paying someone to take their online exams.